1. Home

Elizabeth Weintraub

Robert G. Allen: Guru or Sham?

By May 28, 2008

Out of the hundreds of seminar speakers and investment gurus I have met in my life, one person I have never met in real life is Robert G. Allen.

But that doesn't mean he's any different from the rest of them. It just means I never got around to it, and he wasn't a participant in the seminar crowd that competed against him in the 1970s and 1980s. Yet, it's pretty much a given that he was the first. Or at least the most emulated. Everybody wanted to get on the bandwagon back then, and Allen was a tough but profitable act to follow on the dog-and-pony-show circuit.

What's astonishing is Robert G. Allen is still going strong today, even after filing bankruptcy in 1996. They say those who can't do teach. And plenty of dreamers, lottery players and novice real estate investors come to Allen's seminars and buy his books. I am not saying his techniques don't work; I'm saying the success rate is few and far between, plus . . . read more about Robert G. Allen.

More Articles by Elizabeth Weintraub:

©Big Stock Photo

Technorati tag:

At the time of writing, Elizabeth Weintraub, DRE # 00697006, is a Broker-Associate at Lyon Real Estate in Sacramento, California.

Comments

May 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm
(1) Tony says:

One thing many of the so called gurus are good at is selling stuff. as a student of marketing I have bought a lot of material over the years and I must say some is great but what I found whith Rober Allen it was all about what he could sell you next!

May 28, 2008 at 4:11 pm
(2) homebuying says:

You’re right, Tony — these seminar guys are in the business to sell books, tapes, videos and more seminars. If they were in the business of dispensing valuable free advice, they would be a nonprofit.

May 31, 2008 at 12:42 am
(3) Sell My House says:

That is why I love the web so much. You can network and meet others who have purchased products from so called Gurus. Then you can just purchase the best one for your application.

June 2, 2008 at 4:09 am
(4) Will Buckley says:

It is a given that they make all of their money on selling the product and idea.

The stuff they are selling they have never done.

You do have to be amazed at the amount of money they are making in the teaching arena.

More power to them. I know I have spent my fair share.

January 17, 2009 at 4:03 pm
(5) Leisa Watkins says:

I first met Robert Allen a little over a year ago and have really grown to like him. I now consider him a true friend.

Sure I had heard all the snake oil salesman hype out there, but once I got to know him I found that he is genuine and truly loves people.

Sure, he’s a GREAT salesman, and a strong business owner, but when he approaches business I found that he did it from a view point of truly wanting to help people.

Sure, he’ll be the first to admit that he made mistakes along the way, but he learned from them. And often times the reports out there are directed to companies that have the marketing rights to the use of his name in the seminars that Robert originally taught. So they are teaching Robert Allen’s information, but they are responsible for the sale portion.

As the previous comment states, there is a lot of money in the teaching arena. That’s why Robert Allen now spends much of his time teaching people how to use their knowledge to create a living for themselves – through seminars, books, etc.

February 16, 2009 at 2:57 am
(6) George says:

I like the others have stated have purchased many programs over the years. In 1992 I purchased a 2k program from Robert Allen. I have since acquired 3 4-plexes and a 3bd rm home. I chose to hold and manage these properties instead of the “buying and selling method”, and do receive a decent positive cash flow. The bottom line is that there are many ways, avenues to seek and obtaining information. the key is once you obtain it what you do with that knowledge. 10% is purchasing the material 20% is reading/studying 70% is taking action, and applying commonsense. I learned a great deal from his course. Life long lessons that I never did get from home or teachers or school, and I did pursue higher learning after High School.

March 5, 2009 at 6:33 pm
(7) Wynter Brown says:

I signed up for a mentoring program with Robert Allen and I made 600k in the first year. The naysayers are the ones who failed because they didn’t put the time in and do what they are taught. I did and now I’m a millionaire, just like he teaches others to be. The only people that have bad things to say are the ones who are looking for someone to blame for thier failures.

June 22, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(8) Sergio says:

I have read many books of ROBERT ALLEN, and asisted to a couple of his courses. My worth is now on the 5 million. I don’t have words to express my thanks to him, for the information he put in my hands.
YES he sells his products very well… he is a seller. BUT Nļ1: if we follow his advices, we have the sky as our limit. BUT N™2: he is “hands on”. What he teaches, he has done it.
We have 2 alternatives:
-believe and give it a try.(following exactly his How To’s)
-don’t believe and stay where we are.
The decision is yours.
I am very happy I believed… I have become very rich, not only in $$$, but ALSO in the most important things: family, friends, quality of life, etc, etc, etc.
Thank you Bob Allen, you have been my mentor throu your books & tapes.
I VOTE FOR GURU

July 22, 2009 at 9:03 pm
(9) Paula says:

What amazes me is that Robert Allen continues to seel his “no money down” and other ways to fund RE transactions that just don’t work in todays market. He doesn’t realy teach anything you cannot read in a RE book and provides a lot of out-dated referenes and links to banks and other financial institutes. What Robert Allen is really selling is seminars and products which he uses to get rich himself. He promises monbey back garuntee but the fine print makes it impossible to prove your point and get your money back. Also, he sells your name to other RE investment marketers, who have so many differnet names (a legal maneuver that make sit hard to sue them) and they try to sell you their products and services as well. I bought the first seminar after a “free seminar” by being covinced that I would learn all I needed to become a RE invester. At the next seminar, they suggested that I needed additional training and used high pressure sales techniques to try to get me to “buy up” tot the next level. Well, they got me but when this next more pricy serivices and seminars did not offer anything I needed (e.g. funding sources), I stopped buying. Did this stop them and the other RE marketers? No, I get at least a dozen e-mails for seminars and services each week from RA and others. One other thing to keep in mind. They claim that you have to spend money to make money and that this training is a tax write off (but of course they add a disclaimer as an after thoguht that you should check with your accountant). As it turns out, these seminars and services are not a valid tax write off for me or most people unless: 1. you are a professional RE invester (an IRA define that most beginnign investors cannot meet) and 2. after you own rental or investment property, then certain training can be tax deductible.l So, in short, I sent a lot of money, “buying up” the Robert Allen product chain; worked real hard for about 1 year trying to make RE deals using his “proven system” with no favorable results and in the end, got nothing but more debt. DO NOT BE FOOLED. IF you go to a free RA or other RE guru seminar, first, listen for the sales hooks and not so subtle sales pitches such as a “rich people take action when others don’t” or “5000.00 you will make that up in one RE transcations…how would you like to make 20,000 in 30 days?”. Then watch and count the number of people who sign up hoping for a break: 5000.00 x 10= 50,000. Not a bad take for 2 hrs of a salesman’s time. I bet they use their profits to buy RE that the rest of us cannot transact! What a scam.

September 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm
(10) Peter says:

Personally, I am sick and tired of the email spam from Robert G. Allen. I have never signed up with any Real Estate Investment offerings yet I get four to six email spam a day from this guy.

Furthermore – since money is only created by the creation of debt – wealth created by real estate speculation only creates debt, somewhere, for others, which has created a debt load for the average consumer that is unsustainable. Robert G. Allen cares for people? He’s an example of why we are in the financial problems facing us today!

September 21, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(11) Mike says:

One name. Dave Ramsey. Guru that WON’T let you down. How much is his stuff? You can listen on the radio FREE. Many things on his web site are FREE. Get is book from your local library FREE. Ready, set…GO!

October 25, 2009 at 4:12 pm
(12) KC Truby says:

I paid RG Allen $10,000 in 1995 to teach me how to be more successful in my accounting business. In the next 18 months I brought in over $2,000,000 in additional revenue. The number one thing he told me was “Use this or you have wasted $10,000″

December 30, 2009 at 2:31 pm
(13) Russell From chicago says:

Wow all the people talking bad about Rober Allen did you read his books and try to apply them in real life??
If you have not you can’t say his strategies dont work.
Last year I earned 40,000, this year thanks to reading Rober Allens books I have made 130,0000, next year my goal is to make 200,000.
I am well on my way to be a multi millionaire before I turn 30 years old.
I am forever in debt to this man, thank you Robert G Allen, you have changed my life forever.

March 21, 2010 at 1:57 am
(14) KC Truby says:

I like many owe Robrt Allen a great debt. In 1995 he taught me one technique that brought in 15,000,000 over the next 10 years in information sales. I also learned how to get a loan to buy my ocean front home in San Diego county from Robert. He is one of the original thinkers in the market – you would do well to attend his seminars and get as close as possible to him.

May 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(15) Rob Liano says:

This is the most important statement of the article:

“the success rate is few and far between”

This is true across the nation in every industry, not just with these types of opportunities, so what will set you apart from the 90% of the failures?

Action, the application of knowledge, perseverance and desire, to name a few.

Break away from the sheeple, do something other than complain and remain.

November 18, 2010 at 12:01 am
(16) PHILIP says:

DO NOT BUY-SCAM!SCAM!SCAM!- I PURCHASED “MULTIPLE STREAMS OF INCOME & CRACKING THE MILLION DOLLAR CODE FOR AROUND $130 AND ALL THATS IN THE MATERIAL IS SO CALLED SUCCESS STORIES, AND THEM TELLING YOU ABOUT INTERNET TERMINOLOGY. DOESN’T EVEN TELL YOU HOW TO GET STARTED. ON TOP OF THAT, I RECEIVED A CALL FROM A REPRESENTATIVE TELLING ME HOW THEY ARE RECRUITING INDIVIDUALS FOR THEIR NEXT SUCCESS STORY AND HE REQUESTED $550 UP FRONT BEFORE I EVEN STARTED. $550 UP FRONT, AND THEN $2550.OO MADE IN PAYMENTS OF $183 PER MONTH AFTER THAT. ANOTHER THING THEY DO IS CHANGE THE NAME OF THEIR COMPANY TO AVOID THE BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU NEGATIVE REPORTING. RIGHT AFTER I PURCHASED THIS CRAP, I CHECKED BLOGS ABOUT ROBERT ALLEN AND EVERYTHING WAS NEGATIVE INCLUDING A GRADE OF AN “F” FROM THE BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU. TODAY I CHECK IT AND THERE IS NO SCORE UNDER “MULTIPLE STREAMS OF INCOME” STATING THAT THE BUISNESS NO LONGER EXISTS. WHEN TALKING TO ROBERT ALLEN’S REPRESENTATIVE, THEY WILL CONTINUE TO TRY TO CONVINCE YOU ABOUT THEIR SCORE FROM THE BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU, BUT THEY KEEP CHANGING THEIR BUSINESS NAMES TO AVOID FROM PEOPLE SEEING ALL THE NEGATIVE REPORTS. IM GOING TO TRY TO GET MY REFUND TOMORROW- THEY ALSO PROMISED THAT IF I BUY THEIR PRODUCT, I WILL HAVE UP TO ONE YEAR TO GET A REFUND. WE WILL SEE… IN THE MEAN WHILE, IM GOING TO CONTINUOUSLY SEARCH FOR THEIR NEW BETTER BUREAU BUSINESS NAME AND FILL IT UP WITH NEGATIVE REPORTS. THIS IS BULL SHIT AND PLEASE DO NOT FEED INTO THIS. I AM SO PISSED OFF.

November 18, 2010 at 12:03 am
(17) PHILIP says:

. IM ALREADY BROKE AND WAISTED $130 ON READING MATERIAL ABOUT HOW THESE SO CALLED PEOPLE ARE MAKING $7000/MONTH BUT HAS NOT GET-STARTED INSTRUCTIONS. I’M A LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE WORKING THROUGH NURSING SCHOOL TRYING TO PROVIDE A LIVING FOR MY FAMILY. THIS IS THE FIRST GET RICH FAST SCHEME I HAVE EVER PURCHASED AND AM VERY ASHAMED OF MYSELF FOR ACTUALLY THINKING THAT THIS ONE WAS LEGIT. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT AND BUY YOURSELF SOMETHING YOU WILL ENJOY, KEEP WORKING, AND DONT LET ROBERT ALLEN BULLSHIT YOU INTO GIVING YOUR MONEY AWAY WITH NO RETURN, JUST SO THAT HE CAN CONTINUE HIS LATE NIGHT INFOMERCIALS. RIPPED OFF AND PISSED. IM JUST GLAD THAT I ONLY LOST $130 AND WAS NOT DUMB ENOUGH TO GIVE ANOTHER $550 BEFORE WE EVEN GOT STARTED. DONT DO IT AND SAVE YOUR MONEY. IF YOU READ THIS AND STILL BUY HIS MATERIAL, ALL I CAN SAY IS I TOLD YOU SO AND YOU DESERVE TO HAVE YOUR MONEY TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU. IT WILL BE A GOOD LEARNING EXPERIENCE. GO TO SCHOOL AND GET A BETTER JOB IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE. DONT WAIST IT ON THIS LOW LIFE. ALSO, BE CAREFUL FOR HIS FAKE WEBSITES WITH FAKE BLOGS STATING HOW EVERYONE IS MAKING MONEY OR IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING HIS MATERIAL. IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME, CHECK IT OUT AND TRY TO POST A BLOG OF YOUR OWN. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO. FAKE FAKE FAKE! GOOD LUCK

April 9, 2011 at 10:28 pm
(18) Don says:

I find it interesting that those of you, who have never worked with Robert Allen, were never trained by him and have never got off the couch and actually invested in real estate before; have so much to say about Robert Allen. It seems quite ignorant “why doesn’t Robert Allen do his training for free”? Are you really that stupid? If you’re looking for a hand out you should go stand in line at the unemployment office. Is Harvard or Yale or UCLA free? I know personally many, many students of Robert Allen who have successfully invested in Real Estate, generated successfully Internet Business and Made money in the stock market.

If you have any intelligence and want to actually educate yourself I recommend going to his seminars and find out for yourself. Don’t be a fool by letting these lazy, uneducated dream dumpers keep you from accomplishing your goals.

June 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm
(19) tony says:

BAHAHA HA.. All of you people crack me up. No one here believes in good old fashion reading a book, learning it, and applying it. Everyone here that is supporting Robert Allen saying that you have made so much money because of him, not one of you gave a single reason or way you did it to PROVE yourself. Yes i can lie and say i made 1 million dollars too. I have been reading a stock book for 2 months now, just started in the market. I made $400 bucks doing it myself, not much but teaching myself how to is better then giving some jerk off 10k to give me moral support on how to.

June 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm
(20) joedirt says:

i agree with the above comment from tony and also from KC Truby “he taught me one technique that brought in 15,000,000 over the next 10 years…. I also learned how to get a loan to buy my ocean front home in San Diego county from Robert” just one question if your bringing in that much dough why do you need a loan, seriously for those who got paid to post beneficial comments about this germ of the earth cockroach think about what your writing first you sound like an idiot.

October 18, 2011 at 1:02 am
(21) Jeff says:

I attended a week long seminar back in the late 80ís. It was expensive even back then. I was a 20 something back then and gung ho to make a fortune. I used his techniques in the midst of the Texas savings and loan crisis. I owned my own home, free and clear, by the age of 23 and used none of my own money. I didnít make millions but I didnít continue on that path. I chose a different career path and have been happy with my direction.

July 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm
(22) Alspin says:

Robert Allen is a scam artist. Im not mad at all, because it taught me to research these so called gurus and look at their customer satisfaction ratio. I paid $3000 for Robert’s seminar, a straight waste of hard earn money. I realized the second day into the seminar that i had been duped. What do you guys think about Brian Tracy?

July 31, 2012 at 7:53 pm
(23) Christine says:

If greed were a talent then yes the authors Robert G Allen and Mark Victor Hansen are very talented. In actuality their book is just another useless book making money about making money.
I consider myself lucky as I got his the book from the library and it didn’t cost me anything. I do resent the day off I wasted reading it. The point that we should be all thinking positive is true.I am positive that most of the book’s concepts are just not credible. Greed and money make people rich and richer. True wealth is realizing how much we have and being grateful for it.

October 18, 2012 at 2:29 am
(24) Jonathan Silva says:

I attended a couple of seminars with Robert Allen in the early 90′s. I attribute a lot of the success that I have had to those beginnings. I have bought and sold over 80 homes now. In those days I remember him giving us more than I expected. He tried to help us overcome our fears. Some may have felt like that stuff is not what they came to learn, but I found it very helpful. Once I overcame my fears, the sky was the limit. I feel like I have been successful. He helped me to actually get started and do something. I do not know what the course looks like nowadays, but what he taught me back then was worth every penny I spent!

April 4, 2013 at 11:12 am
(25) johnLeeFromMO says:

The reason most people don’t do well after going to a seminar is the same reason they don’t do well with anything. How you do anything is how you do everything. Only the top 5% do well with anything. It has nothing to do with strategies and tactics. It is a direct reflection of who they are.

Bob Allen is very good at what he does. I have seen him a few times and have studied much of his material. If you follow what he says, it will work. There’s no magic and no secrets. There are a lot of good teachers for those that want them.

Most people do not want to live on a higher level. The have all kinds of excuses. In the real world it boils down to: you can have reasons or you can have results.

May 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm
(26) Trevor Mason says:

I read The One Minute Millionaire by Robert G. Allen and Mark Victor Hansen. Probably the most important thing I took away from that book was Roberts’ advice in finding a millionaire mentor by taking a millionaire out for lunch once every month. Also, forming a mastermind is stressed as extremely important as well as meeting with that mastermind (millionaire mentor included on team) once or twice per week. How many people who have read Robert’s books have actually been diligent in following the instructions in the books? I’m curious. And so I think I will conduct a fun little experiment………to be continued……

September 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(27) Will says:

I founded an architectural firm in the mid seventies. Since then I have had a very diverse collection of several thousand clients. Approximately 90% of my clients have been multimillionaires, most, who were self made, became rich via real estate. Of that group the only book that I have ever heard mentioned as being instrumental to the individual’s success in real estate has been Robert A Allen’s ” Nothing Down”. Personally, I read his book when I was around twenty two and was able to buy my first apartment building in the San Francisco area for nothing down within the year. During the next ten years I used his strategies to buy three apartment buildings and two houses in the San Francisco area.
I had a client who was a young Black man with dreadlocks who was thirty thousand in debt when he read Allen’s book. Within two years he had made around $800,000 in cash using the strategies in the book.
Clearly some do not like or trust Aleen, but his strategies have worked for many, many others. I personally deeply appreciate his Nothing Down book.

January 20, 2014 at 9:13 am
(28) Robert Yost says:

I took the Robert Allen nothing down coarse in 1981. At that time interest rates for 23% in NY State. Using his techniques, I successfully negotiated the purchase of a horse farm which I owned for 24 years. His techniques work, one has to pick and choose based on the circumstances.